Survey researchers frequently use randomization as a tool to combat survey bias. Randomizing the order of questions, pages, and/or answer options in your survey prevents bias introduced by order and/or survey fatigue. Within SurveyGizmo you can randomize questions, pages and answer options!
Randomize the Order of Answer Options
- Edit the question and go to the Layout tab.
- Select the option to Randomize Options (or Randomize Row Order or Randomize Columns).
- Click Save Question.
This set up is the same if you wish to randomize row or column headers.
Fix the Position of a Given Answer Option When Randomizing
- Edit the question.
- Scroll to the answer option you wish to exclude and click the pencil icon to edit.
- Select Yes under Fixed Position.
- Click Done and Save Question.
Compatible Question Types
|Question Type||Answer Randomization||Fixed Setting|
|Image Select (Single and Multiple)|
|Textbox List - Randomizes row order|
|Dropdown Menu List - Randomizes row order not options|
|Rating (Likert Scale)|
|Drag & Drop Ranking|
|Star Rating Grid - Randomize row order and columns|
|Slider List - Randomize row order and columns|
|Grid Questions (Radio Button, Checkbox, Dropdown Menu and Textbox) - Randomize row order and columns|
|Custom Table - Randomize row order|
What should I know about answer option randomization?
- The specific random order in which randomized answer options were displayed to the respondent is not available in reporting.
- If using column randomization within a grid question, note that this feature is not compatible in conjunction with columns that are piped-in and the fixed and N/A special setting for columns.