The Image Select (select one) question type is a single-select question with clickable images as answer options.
When To Use It
Use the Image Select (select one) question to ask your respondents to choose a single image from a list of images.
If you are looking for steps to add an image to your question text, check out our Add Image to Question Text Tutorial.
- To set up a Image Select question, it's easiest to start by uploading the images you would like to use in our Image Select question to your File Library. See our File Library Tutorial to learn how!
- Click the Question link on the page where you would like to add your Image Select question.
- Select Image Select (select one) from the Question Type dropdown and enter the question you wish to ask.
- Scroll to the Multiple Choice Options and click the image placeholder to begin adding your answer options.
- In the Insert Image dialogue, select the image you wish to use, upload a new image, or enter a URL to an image.
- Click Insert Image.
- When you return to the list of answer options, select the Click to Add Option button to add another image answer option. Rinse and repeat. Make sure to click Save Question.
There are a number of options available via the Layout tab of the Image (select one) question.
- If you have a large number of images for the respondent to choose from, consider using the Images Per Row field to determine how many images are display per each row.
- If your images vary in size, you may force a specific Width or Height (in pixels) for your images. We do not recommend adjusting both values as this is likely to result in distorting the image.
Best Practice Tip: Recommended Image Size
For Image Select questions we recommend image files of no larger than 200px x 200px.
When uploading images to the File Library you have the option to scale your image using pixel width or a percent. There are also various tools online to resize images e.g. http://www.picresize.com/. It is important to note that resizing images may negatively affect the quality of the image.
On a desktop and most laptops the Image Select question type looks like so.
When optimized for mobile devices the Image Select question type looks very similar.
By default, survey questions show one at a time on mobile devices to prevent the need for scrolling on smaller screens. For single-select questions, like the select-one Image Select question, the screen will automatically advance after an option is selected. You can turn off this one-at-a-time interaction if you wish.
Single Image Select questions report as a pie chart with a table that includes a count and percent for each answer option. The reporting values rather than the images themselves are used within reporting.
See additional compatible chart types
Within the Standard Report there are various chart types available for visualizing your data. The below grid shows which of the chart types Image Select (select one) questions are compatible with.
See what other report types are compatible
The below grid shows which of the report types Image Select (select one) questions are compatible with. If you plan to do some specific analysis within SurveyGizmo this report compatibility chart should help you choose the right question types!
(not available as source question)
The CSV/Excel export for a single Image Select question will have a single column of data. The reporting values rather than the images themselves are used in the export.