The Http Referrer field, included on the Details tab of each response and in CSV/Excel Exports of your raw data, identifies the address of the web page that linked to the survey. Often, this field is blank. Below are some common scenarios where the referrer will be blank.
It will/may be empty when the survey respondent:
- Entered the survey by clicking on a TXT Message
- Entered the survey from an email (like an email invitation)
- Keyed the survey URL in browser address bar itself.
- Entered the survey by a browser-maintained bookmark.
- Entered the survey as the first page in the window/tab.
- Switched from a https URL to a http URL.
- Switched from a https URL to a different https URL.
- Has security software installed (antivirus/firewall/etc) which strips the referrer from all requests.
- Is behind a proxy which strips the referrer from all requests.
- Visited the site programmatically (like, curl) without setting the referrer header.
What's the difference between referrer and extended referrer?
Extended referrer records the same data as the referrer field it just allows for more characters in the case that your referrer is quite long.